March 2012 New Video Game Release Guide
Last Updated on Sunday, 4 March 2012 06:43
Written by PunchDrunkGamer
Thursday, 1 March 2012 06:21
Welcome to the PDG March 2012 New Video Game Release Guide
By PDG Staff
Major League Baseball 2K12 (PC, PS3, Xbox 360)
March 6, 2012
The longest running Major League Baseball franchise returns to the virtual diamond with MLB 2K12 from 2K Sports. Featuring advanced pitching & hitting controls, detailed player tendencies & scouting reports, and immersive game modes for any level of fan, MLB 2K12 is the only game you’ll need this season.
* MLB Today Season Mode – For the first time ever, play along with the real-life MLB season as it unfolds. Take charge of your favorite team and see how you stack up against the rest of the league over the course of a six month-long season.
* Dynamic Tendency System – Just as in real-life, opposing pitchers and hitters will learn your tendencies from one at-bat to the next, challenging you to mix up your approach on both sides of the plate as each game unfolds.
* Improved My Player Mode – Want to be the next All-Star slugger or ace starter? All-new player types let you decide your path to the Majors. Goals, expectations, ratings and progression are all customized by position and player type.
* New Hit Distribution System - More varied and realistic hits, from line drives in the gap to slow tappers down the line. Based on the physics of the game, including pitch location & speed and swing timing & accuracy.
* New Throw Meter – A revamped throwing system presents a classic risk vs. reward situation every time you make a play. Will you queue up throws before fielding the ball to save time, or take a moment to set your feet for better accuracy?
* Soundtrack - Tracks handpicked by SPIN magazine, featuring The Cool Kids, Skrillex, The Joy Formidable, Grouplove, My Morning Jacket and more.
* Improved AI - The game just got a little smarter, with improved CPU AI both on the field and in the dugout.
* New & Improved Commentary - Over 80 hours of new commentary featuring Gary Thorne, Steve Phillips & John Kruk. For the first time, MLB Today games will feature dynamic commentary that updates as the game unfolds.
Mass Effect 3 (PC, PS3, Xbox 360)
March 6, 2012
Go weapons-hot in a fully immersive sci-fi epic that reacts to every decision you make.
Not everyone will survive. An ancient alien race, known only as “Reapers”, has launched an all-out invasion leaving nothing but a trail of destruction in their wake. Earth has been taken, the galaxy is on the verge of total annihilation, and you are the only one who can stop them. The price of failure is extinction. You are Commander Shepard, a character that you can forge in your own image. You determine how events will play out, which planets to explore, and whom to form alliances with as you rally a force to eliminate the Reaper threat once and for all.
How you wage this war is completely up to you: go into combat with guns blazing or use cover to plan a more tactical assault. Utilize your squad to full effect or take a lone wolf approach. Rain death from a distance or go toe-to-toe with enemies using devastating melee attacks. Mass Effect 3 will react to each decision you make as you play through a truly unique experience of your own creation.
* A rich, branching storyline: Experience a sci-fi epic with multiple endings determined by your choices and actions throughout the game.
* Massive in scope: Battle on many worlds across the galaxy as you unite the ultimate force to take back the Earth before it’s too late.
* Large-scale and intelligent enemies: Battle enormous enemies and take on a smarter type of foe that will consistently challenge your best combat tactics and put you on the edge of your seat.
* Unlock a customizable arsenal: Tailor each weapon with devastating upgrades including scopes, grips, barrels and dozens of other unique attachments. Each weapon boasts its own powerful impact and visual flair.
* Unleash death from afar or go toe-to-toe: Customize your soldier and squad to engage the enemy on your terms. A huge variety of weapons, abilities and equipment allow you to combat the enemy in your preferred style of play.
Street Fighter x Tekken (PC, PS3, Xbox 360)
March 6, 2012
The long awaited dream match-up between the two leaders in the fighting genre becomes a reality. Street Fighter X Tekken delivers the ultimate tag team match up featuring iconic characters from each franchise, and one of the most robust character line ups in fighting game history.
With the addition of new gameplay mechanics, the acclaimed fighting engine from Street Fighter IV has been refined to suit the needs of both Street Fighter X Tekken players alike.
* Dream Match Up - Dozens of playable characters including Ryu, Ken, Guile, Able, and Chun-Li from Street Fighter as well as Kazuya, Nina, King, Marduk, and Bob from Tekken.
* Real-time Tag Battle - Fight as a team of two and switch between characters strategically.
* Familiar Controls - In Street Fighter X Tekken, controls will feel familiar for fans of both series.
* Juggle System - Toss your foes into Tekken-style juggles with Street Fighter X Tekken’s universal air launching system.
* Robust Online Modes - In addition to the online features from Super Street Fighter IV, Street Fighter X Tekken features totally upgraded online functionality and some new surprises.
Silent Hill: Downpour (PS3, Xbox 360)
March 13, 2012
Murphy Pendleton has been incarcerated for several years, having had his sentence extended once already. Due to his history at Ryall State Prison, he is being transferred to nearby Wayside Maximum Security Penitentiary-but a freak accident cuts the journey short. Waking up in a forest next to the wrecked bus, Murphy has a clear shot at freedom. He makes his way into the sleepy town of Silent Hill where mysterious locals welcome him into a slowly developing personal hell.
Silent Hill Downpour is the latest Silent Hill game offering the familiar Survival Horror gameplay delivered in the most defined visual quality to date. The game also expands on the exploration theme of the franchise both design-wise and through psychological torture, ambient story, horrific enemies and self-evaluative questions of despair.
* All new and updated Silent Hill experience that visually stands on its own with the current competition. Utilizing Unreal 3 technology, the game brings the town of Silent Hill, its characters, the creatures and the alternate hell world into vivid and spectacular display.
* Free-roaming and deep exploration that will take players into all-new ‘Side Quests’ unlocking areas within the game, special items and bonus content.
* An ever-changing game world including day and night ‘Normal’ world and ‘Otherworld’ world, all manifested and sourced from character actions throughout the game.
* First-time ever 3D technology will bring Silent Hill a step closer to the player with three-dimensional immersion.
* Renowned story and music talent attached to the game including: Silent Hill comic writer, Tom Waltz
* Original music directed and composed by renowned composer, Dan Licht, of the Showtime series, Dexter. Theme song performed by hard-rock multiplatinum group, Korn.
Yakuza: Dead Souls (PS3)
March 13, 2012
What was once the End is now Dead Souls!
Yakuza: Dead Souls is set in the infamous red light district of Tokyo, which is under attack from hordes of zombies. Players will not only face armies of the undead and incredibly powerful mutants, but a treacherous Japanese underworld that is just as merciless. Playing through the eyes of four of the most infamous characters of the series, witness allegiances shift quickly and the line between friend and foe lost. If you thought zombies were bad…meet the Yakuza!
Yakuza: Dead Souls features gunplay for the first time in the Yakuza™ series, where everything from pistols, machine guns and rocket launchers can be employed against the zombie invasion. Just remember to save some ammo in case you run into something even more terrifying than the zombies! With all the depth and story of a Yakuza title, plus the addition of exciting shoot-outs and previously unplayable characters Ryuji Goda and Goro Majima, Yakuza: Dead Souls is worth dying for.
* Tokyo as you’ve never seen it before – From Zombie table tennis to gunning down the walking dead on a date with a beautiful hostess, all the side missions, clubs, karaoke, bars, dungeon crawling, and more are back.
* Four playable characters – The revered Kazuma Kiryu and Shun Akiyama return, now joined by Goro “Mad-dog” Majima and Ryuji Goda, the Dragon of Kansai.
* Unleash new devastation – Unleash new devastation. Use the all-new heat-snipe to unleash chaos in the face of hordes of zombies.
* Zombies, guns, and gore – The Yakuza franchise takes an exciting new twist with an all-new 3rd person shooting mechanic, a wide array of guns and upgrades, and a city packed full of the undead.
Ninja Gaiden III (PS3, Xbox 360)
March 20, 2012
Delve deeper into the mind behind the mask in Ninja Gaiden 3. At the centre of the conflict this time around is a masked man whose motivations and goals are unclear. Through mysterious powers, he changes Hayabusa – and the lines between hero and villain, good and evil, are blurred forever. Pick up the Dragon Sword once more, sharpen its blade and hone your skills. An adventure unlike any other awaits you…
* Cutting Down your Enemy: Through new gameplay mechanics and presentation, players will feel what it’s like to cut through an enemy’s flesh and bone, along with the consequence that comes with it.
* A Hero Unmasked: With a new story and new characters, players will learn more about Hayabusa’s past and present life than ever before. Once seen only as a mindless killing machine, players will unravel layers of their hero as they see his motivations and learn about the man behind the mask.
* High-Octane Ninja Action: Built upon the same intense action that the series is renowned for, Ninja Gaiden 3 will challenge players while still remaining accessible for players new to the franchise.
* Online Action: A rich and challenging set of online modes are being implemented, giving players the option to play cooperatively or competitively. New challenges, characters and missions await those who choose to join the Shadows of the World online!
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (PS3, Xbox 360)
March 20, 2012
It is September 1998 and the action centers on the ill-fated Raccoon City and the horrific consequences of the deadly T-virus outbreak, developed at the Umbrella facility. With a cover up required, Umbrella orders an elite team into Raccoon City to destroy all evidence of the outbreak and eliminate any survivors.
Meanwhile, the US Government has quarantined the city and dispatched its own team of elite soldiers to determine the source of the mysterious outbreak. You are an Umbrella Security Services soldier (U.S.S.), competing alone or in up to four player co-op in a battle against all the competing forces at play in Raccoon City. Expect the return of original Resident Evil enemies, iconic landmarks such as the Raccoon City Police Department and fan favorite characters, including Leon S. Kennedy, who, as a rookie police officer in Raccoon City, is on your hit list to eliminate.
* Experience the Fear: Set in the terrifying world of Resident Evil.
* Three Corner Conflict: Bio-Organic Weapons (B.O.W) and zombies create an unpredictable third force and additional challenge on the battlefield, adding chaos to the shooter game play.
* Campaign Mode: Both single player and up to 4 player co-op: You are part of the Umbrella Security Service. Protect the truth behind the T-Virus outbreak by any means necessary.
* Fight Online: Robust and fully featured online multiplayer modes.
* Define your Play Style: Gain new abilities and skills unique to your playable character as your experience level increases.
* International Team Development: A high quality, fully loaded, third person co-op/multiplayer shooter developed in collaboration between Capcom Japan development studios and an experienced Western multiplayer specialist studio.
Total War: Shogun 2 – Fall of The Samurai (PC)
March 23, 2012
The End of the Samurai Era, the Dawn of an Empire!
The standalone expansion to the award winning Total War: SHOGUN 2 explores the conflict between the Imperial throne and the last Shogunate in 19th century Japan, 400 years after the events of the original game – a dramatic clash of traditional Samurai culture with the explosive power of modern weaponry.
Guide ancient Japan into the modern age, as the arrival of America, Britain and France incites a ferocious civil war which will decide the future of the nation.
* Dramatic 19th century Japan setting - Based on the backdrop of the Boshin War period, the new campaign starts in 1864, a time of growing resentment against Western colonial power and influence. As Japan began to modernize and industrialize, the inevitable social and economic changes led to increasingly militant nationalism and antipathy towards the Shogunate.
* 6 new playable clans - Play as a clan supporting the Imperial throne, or the last Shogunate: Shogunate clans: Aizu, Nagaoka, Jozai & Imperial clans: Choshu, Satsuma, Tosa
* New foreign powers - The American, British and French nations played an important part in the story of the Boshin war and your relations with these foreign powers will be integral to unit recruitment and to advancing your technology trees.
* New 19th century Japan campaign map - The new island of Ezo extends the SHOGUN 2 campaign map northwards. Fully refreshed towns and other campaign map features reflect the different time period, with railways making their first appearance in a Total War title.
* Railway lines on the campaign map - Develop your own railway network to move armies and agents between your regions. Railways can be sabotaged and transport can be blocked by enemy armies who take control of parts of the line or railway stations.
* 39 new land units – Including modern ranged units – such as the Gatling gun and Armstrong gun – controllable in a new third-person mode. New units can also be recruited from foreign powers, including the British Royal Marines, US Marine Corps and French Marines.
* 10 new naval unit types with a total of 21 ships - New steam-powered warships, heavily armed with modern artillery. Foreign ironclad ships can also be purchased, including the Warrior-class ironclad.
* New port siege battle type - This new battle type triggers when attempting a naval assault on an occupied enemy port. The attacking fleet must sail into the harbor and capture the port, running the gauntlet of coastal gun defenses.
* New land and sea unit interactions - During a land battle, armies can call in offshore artillery support barrages. Conversely, coastal gun emplacements can target enemy ships during port siege battles, when ending their turn within the range of upgraded coastal defenses. Campaign map bombardments: offshore naval units can bombard armies and cities in adjacent coastal areas on the campaign map itself.
* 3 new agent types - The Foreign Veteran, the Ishin Shishi and the Shinshengumi. Each new agent has its own skill tree. Ninja and Geisha agents have had their skill trees updated.
* Improved siege battle mechanics - New upgradable tower defenses can be built with a specific defense specialty: archery, matchlock or Gatling gun.
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 (PS3, Xbox 360)
March 27, 2012
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 is back and ready for another season of PGA Tour golf. Take on many of the world’s top professional golfers as you work your way to #1 in the world. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 will be available for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in 2012.
* Total Swing Control - Taking its most significant leap forward in swing mechanics in over a decade, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 revolutionizes the virtual golf swing. Golfers will take full control over their swing with all-new tempo, swing plane and shot power controls along with an adjustable shot setup, allowing players to address the ball in a number of ways to create limitless shot types with just one club.
* New Golfers, New Courses - Fans can take to the course with any one of 22 PGA Tour golfers in Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13, including Tiger Woods, 2011 US Open Champion Rory McIlroy, 2010 PGA Tour Rookie of the Year Rickie Fowler and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 US cover art finalist Bubba Watson. Take on the best of the best on some of the world’s most celebrated courses.
* Xbox 360 Kinect Integration - Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 will be the first-ever Kinect for Xbox 360 sports simulation title, tracking full body movements to create the most advanced and authentic swing to date on the virtual golf course. Controller-free and voice-enabled controls provides for a unique, never-before-seen sports gaming experience.
* Tiger Woods ‘Legacy Challenge’ – Relive first-hand Tiger Woods’ most memorable golf accomplishments as he rises from a child prodigy to golfing legend.
* Online Country Clubs - In Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13, gamers will be able to invite friends to join their own exclusive country club and team up to gain quicker access to downloadable golf courses or compete against other club members for the coveted Club Championship.
* The Masters Collector’s Edition - The Collector’s Edition provides fans with the ultimate Masters experience. The Collector’s Edition includes all of the features in the standard edition game, as well as exclusive access to Augusta National Golf Club’s Tournament practice facility, Augusta National’s famous Par 3 Course, an authentic Green Jacket Presentation and a chance to explore the hallowed grounds like never before.
Post your comments directly below! You can also discuss the latest MMA & Video Game News in the PunchDrunkGamer Forums and don’t forget to Follow PDG on Twitter @PunchDrunkGamer and Like the PDG Official Facebook Page!