View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:43 pm



Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 UFC 200: Cormier vs Jones 2 - Fight Card Updates 
Author Message
FORUM ADMIN
FORUM ADMIN
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:32 am
Posts: 8552
Location: USA
Image


Quote:
www.ufc.com

The biggest card in UFC history just got bigger, as former world heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar officially announced his return to the Octagon at UFC 200 on July 9.

“The true competitor in me is still alive and well, and I had to do this,” Lesnar said.

Minnesota’s 38-year-old Lesnar made the announcement Monday morning on ESPN’s SportsCenter.

The opponent for Lesnar's first MMA bout since December of 2011 will be veteran knockout artist Mark Hunt.

“It could be anybody,” Lesnar told ESPN’s Hannah Storm of the bout. “I didn’t care. That’s how simple it is. I’ve never turned down a fight in the UFC. I think I match up very well (with Hunt). If Mark ends up on the ground, the fight’s over. Obviously, I need to work on my standup game, but I’m excited and enthusiastic about doing so. That’s the difference.”

A former NCAA Division I national wrestling champion who became an international star in the WWE, Lesnar turned to mixed martial arts in 2007, and by 2008 he was in the UFC and facing former world champion Frank Mir. Lesnar would lose that fight to Mir at UFC 81, but he won his next four bouts, taking the UFC heavyweight championship in the process when he knocked out Randy Couture in 2008. Also included in Lesnar's string of excellence was a win over Mir in their UFC 100 rematch, and an epic submission victory over Shane Carwin in 2010. Through it all, Lesnar's toughest opponent was the diverticulitis that sidelined him twice, and after back-to-back defeats to Cain Velasquez and Alistair Overeem, Lesnar retired from the sport in 2011.

“I couldn’t live with that decision,” Lesnar told ESPN’s Hannah Storm of his retirement from the sport. “It was a hard decision to make, and that decision has haunted me. I couldn’t live with that decision for the rest of my life. I’m a big believer in living out your dreams and facing your fears and facing the reality of I don’t want to be sitting 20 years from now, saying ‘You know what son, you should have went and did that. And here I am.”

_________________
What do you expect? The comedian is dead.

Image


Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:21 am
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:07 pm
Posts: 4124
Location: Death Star
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Image

_________________
Image


Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:00 pm
Profile
FORUM ADMIN
FORUM ADMIN
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:32 am
Posts: 8552
Location: USA
Brunson Out - Thiago "Marreta" Santos In Against Gegard Mousasi


With Derek Brunson forced to withdraw from his UFC 200 bout against Gegard Mousasi, Brazilian bomber Thiago "Marreta" Santos will step up to the plate on July 9 to face the No. 8-ranked middleweight contender on the biggest card of 2016.

UFC 200, which takes place at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, is headlined by the UFC light heavyweight title fight rematch between Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones. Plus, Brock Lesnar returns to battle Mark Hunt, the interim featherweight title will be on the line in another highly-anticipated return bout, as Jose Aldo faces Frankie Edgar, and Miesha Tate puts her UFC women's bantamweight crown on the line against Brazil's Amanda Nunes.

Currently ranked 14th at 185 pounds, Santos has been a major threat in the middleweight division, winning four in a row, including knockouts of Andy Enz, Steve Bosse and Nate Marquardt, the most recent victory over "Nate The Great" coming last month in Curitiba. On July 9, he will face one of the most respected veterans in the sport in the Netherlands' Mousasi, a versatile contender who has won three of his last four, including a February decision over Thales Leites.

www.ufc.com

_________________
What do you expect? The comedian is dead.

Image


Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:12 pm
Profile WWW
FORUM ADMIN
FORUM ADMIN
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:32 am
Posts: 8552
Location: USA
Dana White Announces Changes to UFC 200


UFC President Dana White announced Wednesday night that the new main event for UFC 200 on July 9 will be the heavyweight bout between Brock Lesnar and Mark Hunt.

The announcement came after the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) informed Jon Jones of a potential anti-doping violation stemming from an out of competition test on June 16. With insufficient time for a full review of Jones’ case before his main event bout against UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier, Jones was removed from the card.

“It’s super, super disappointing,” White said during a hastily called press conference at MGM Grand. “It was a brutal phone call.”

RELATED: UFC statement on Jon Jones | UFC 200 fight card

White then had another brutal call to make, as he had to ask Cormier to meet him at 8 p.m. PT to give him the news.

“I had a very bad feeling in the pit of my stomach,” Cormier said. “To hear something like this is very sad from a competitive and financial standpoint. I don’t know exactly to explain how I’m feeling right now.

“I’m just very disappointed,” he continued. “I’ve worked really hard to prepare for this. You take care of what you can take care of and that’s what I did. More than anything, I’m really disappointed.”

With only a few days before fight night and UFC matchmaker Joe Silva in transit to Las Vegas, there is no word on a possible replacement to face Cormier on short notice, but White wouldn’t be opposed to having someone step in under the right circumstances.

“This is devastating to Daniel Cormier in every way it could possibly be,” White said. “It stings real bad for him. I’d like to make a fight for him if I can.”

Said Cormier, “I’ve trained hard and long. And if anyone would fight, I’d fight. But if it doesn’t make sense for the organization or for me, then it doesn’t make sense. So I really don’t know what’s next. It’s very difficult to ask someone to come into this situation.”

As for Jones, a legal review process will be afforded to him before sanctions, including the ability to test his B sample. Cormier, who has been feuding with the interim 205-pound titleholder since long before their first bout in January 2015, is coming to grips with the idea that his chance to avenge his last loss may not happen anytime soon, if ever.

“This chapter in my life had been dragging me and it’s made me ugly,” he said. “I have to move forward and start to clear my mind in regards to him.”

And while White was obviously not happy with the latest turn of events, only days before the biggest show in company history, his commitment to keep the sport clean is stronger than ever.

“We have the best program in all of sports,” White said. “This is the way it should be.”

Despite his disappointment, Cormier refused to throw stones at Jones, focusing instead on his own growth.

“I’m just here to fight and try to be an example for kids to look up to,” he said. “If you do the right thing and be nice to people and care about people, people will care about you. I’ve made my mistakes, I’m trying to do things the best way that I can.”

Lesnar vs. Hunt will remain as a three-round bout, White said.

www.ufc.com

_________________
What do you expect? The comedian is dead.

Image


Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:31 am
Profile WWW
FORUM ADMIN
FORUM ADMIN
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:32 am
Posts: 8552
Location: USA
More Changes to UFC 200 Announced - Tate vs. Nunes now Main Event!

http://www.ufc.com/news/miesha-tate-ama ... rson-silva


Daniel Cormier will fight this Saturday at UFC 200, as UFC President Dana White announced Thursday night that the light heavyweight champion will face middleweight legend Anderson Silva in a three-round non-title light heavyweight fight.

With the addition of Cormier-Silva, which came about due to Jon Jones' removal from the UFC 200 main event due to a potential anti-doping violation, the card's bout order has changed. White confirmed the UFC women’s bantamweight title fight between Miesha Tate and Amanda Nunes is now serving as the card’s main event.

In the co-main event, heavyweight stars Brock Lesnar and Mark Hunt meet, and the interim featherweight title fight between Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar, as well as the heavyweight bout pitting Cain Velasquez against Travis Browne, will round out the card at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.Daniel Cormier will fight this Saturday at UFC 200, as UFC President Dana White announced Thursday night that the light heavyweight champion will face middleweight legend Anderson Silva in a three-round non-title light heavyweight fight.

With the addition of Cormier-Silva, which came about due to Jon Jones' removal from the UFC 200 main event due to a potential anti-doping violation, the card's bout order has changed. White confirmed the UFC women’s bantamweight title fight between Miesha Tate and Amanda Nunes is now serving as the card’s main event.

In the co-main event, heavyweight stars Brock Lesnar and Mark Hunt meet, and the interim featherweight title fight between Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar, as well as the heavyweight bout pitting Cain Velasquez against Travis Browne, will round out the card at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

_________________
What do you expect? The comedian is dead.

Image


Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:35 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.